Looking for a meaningful gift for that person who has everything? Or maybe you’d just like to share your own time this holiday season helping others in need? Maybe you don’t actually have time, but still want to give something back to the world around year?
Whatever the intention, there’s so many ways we can all help share the spirit of the season with others. It’s by no means exhaustive, but we’ve started a list of some great organizations with opportunities to get involved in helping others…
- Stuff a Bus Help Cobb County’s Community Transit service to “Stuff-A-Bus” between December 3rd and 12th with donations of money, new toys and gifts, non-perishable food items, and gift certificates. Your generosity will brighten the holidays for thousands of low-income families. www.cobbchristmas.net
- Books for Soldiers Send books, DVDs, games, and relief supplies to soldiers. www.booksforsoldiers.com
- Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta Share a message of hope, encouragement, and love with a sick child here in Atlanta. www.sharewithchildren.org
- Feed Puppies Click and answer the question on this site daily. Right or wrong, every time you answer, they will provide 10 pieces of kibble to Animal Shelters to feed hungry dogs. www.freekibble.com
- Feed the World For each answer you get right, they donate 10 grains of rice through the World Food Program to help end hunger. www.freerice.com
- Give the Gift of Recreation The non-profit volunteer-led organization, Keen, provides one on one recreational opportunities to children and young adults with developmental and physical disabilities at no cost to their families or caregivers. www.keenusa.org
- Locks of Love The non-profit organization provides hairpieces to financially disadvataged children suffering from long-term medical hair loss. www.locksoflove.org
- Send a Soldier a Card When filling out your cards this year, consider sending a little holiday cheer to an injured soldier. Address your cards to: A Recovering American Soldier c/o Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, 8901 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20889-5600
- Project Night Night Help homeless children have sweeter dreams by donating to one organization that delivers over 25,000 packages to homeless children every year. Packages are a tote bag filled a new security blanket, age-appropriate book, and stuffed animal. By offering extra security and comfort, emotional trauma is reduced. www.projectnightnight.com
- Share Your Soles Help put shoes on the feet of children and adults in the most impoverished areas of the world. www.shareyoursoles.org
- Volunteer Your Time Be matched with the perfect volunteer opportunity for you. www.volunteermatch.org
- Share the Vision Give the person who has everything the gift of helping others this season. With gifts starting at just $16, there is a great array of choices in gifts you can give or give on the behalf of another that will change one life or a whole community’s life. www.worldvisiongifts.org
If you know of any other great organizations that ought to be on this list, please like us on Facebook and let us know!