Starting March 1, 2013 all motor vehicles titled in Georgia are subject to a one-time Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT) fee. The TAVT replaces the former ad valorem and sales tax. Here are some highlights of the program:
- When a vehicle owner applies for title the TAVT is collected based on the fair market value (not purchase price). Any vehicle subject to TAVT is exempt from sales tax. Lease and rental vehicles are exceptions.
- Motor vehicles purchased in Georgia between January 1, 2012 and February 28, 2013 may opt in between March 1, 2013 and December 31, 2013. Law defines this time frame and there are no exceptions.
- Vehicles already on the annual ad valorem system that are not eligible to opt in remain on the annual ad valorem tax system.
- Registration requirements remain the same for all vehicles regardless of whether they are on the TAVT or annual ad valorem tax system.
– Annual decal renewal by your expiration date
– Valid Georgia driver’s license or identification card
– Valid emission certificate
– Mandatory Georgia liability insurance